Safety and Security
Even if you're going to college in or near your hometown, it's important to be vigilant about safety and security of yourself and your belongings. Here are my best pieces of advice!
- Keep your door locked, even--and maybe especially--when you're in the room.
- Make sure you have your dorm/house key with you at all times. (I got habited to keeping mine in my front right trouser pocket.)
- Go out in groups rather than alone.
- Avoid using your debit/credit card on-campus when possible, to keep your banking information safer.
- Don't list your physical address and mailing address on social media.
- Do not arrange to meet anyone from online alone. Have a couple of friends with you at least.
- Keep a hand on your bag(s) when in public.
- Do not leave your bag, laptop, or anything else you value sitting out by itself.
- Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket.
- Lock your car after parking and even while driving.